A friend of mine suggested I talk about this in my Blog, I was a little reluctant because its a bit of a downer and brings me back to a not so happy time.... however as someone else close to me struggles through a tough time this may help them see that things will turn around as much as they think it never will. Thanks for the idea Sheila.
So the story begins late summer of 2009, I get a call from my mother who lives in Nova Scotia , telling me she was diagnosed with lung cancer. FYI she was a smoker of some 60 years!! go figure! Due to her age and other underlying medical conditions there were basically no treatment options,,, the cancer progressed fairly slowly at first, eventually she was admitted to hospital in January 2010 coincidentally about when I started contest prep for 2010 Northern show also my first competition. During my contest prep I would travel frequently to spend time with her for varying lengths of time from 3 or 4 days to 10 days all the time sticking firm to my diet and training I never missed a meal or a workout,,, her condition worsened as time went along the last few times I am pretty sure she didn't know I was there which was difficult, each time I left I wasn't sure I would see her again. I had just returned from NS to Calgary early May and went on a weekend golf trip to BC when I got the call she lost the fight May 12, 2010. As expected as it was, It was the toughest phone call I ever received! I was at a very critical stage in my contest prep and now physically mentally and emotionally drained I almost quit,, but as I sat in my hotel room in BC thiking I started thinking of how easy it would have been for her to quit many times over the years raising my brother and I alone after my Dad passed away in 1978, I thought of all the tough times she must have endured and the recent battle she waged with the lung cancer I quickly realized what I was doing was nothing in comparison,,, I said to myself "no fucking way" I have come this far already I need to turn the negative into positive and push on. She passed away on May12th competition was June 12th and I had renewed focus and strength. Looking back now it was the best decision I ever made the experience of competing was unforgettable and I have made so many great friends in the bodybuilding world their impact on my life has been huge! So I guess the lesson learned is no matter how bad things seem we have to focus on something positive and there always is something positive even though you may think there is not, you just may need to look a little harder to find it.....
as much as parts of 2009-2010 may have been some of the saddest times in my life, the remainder of 2010 and into 2011 have been some of the brightest times!!
Wow, that is tough to go through. I can certainly relate. Good for you for pushing forward, it is only making you even better as you pursue your dreams!
ReplyDelete